Hot Chocolate Fondant or The French Moelleux au Chocolat
'Moelleux' is hot chocolate cake with warm, liquid chocolate inside. The idea is that once you cut the cake, the liquid chocolate will be flooding out like a river. It's the best when you eat this as soon as it gets out the oven… The best part of all, it is very easy to make! So, let's start baking!
- 4 Eggs
- 100g butter
- 2tbs flour
- 125g sugar
- 150g pure chocolate
Recipe for 6-8 Moelleux:
1. Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl over a pan with boiling water and stir frequently until it gets a smooth texture.
2. Leave the bowl to cool down and in a separate bowl mix the sugar with the eggs (add eggs one by one).
3. Mix the two bowls together, whisk it well and in the meanwhile, add the flour. Continue whisking until you get a thick texture.
4. Pour your batter into ramekin cups, if you don’t have these (like me), metal cupcake trays will do too. But make sure to rub in the tray with butter to make the cupcake shapes stick to the bottom before pouring the mixture in. Now put this in the fridge for +/- one hour.
5. Pre-heat the oven and afterwards bake it for 13-15 minutes on 180°C.
Serve with whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. Strawberries and raspberries make good combinations too.